The demo for Final Fantasy XV (FF15) has finally been released (it was out since last week, but I only got around to posting this now =P)! Since I don’t have a PS4 to play the demo at the moment, I decided to watch videos of it on YouTube. The demo looks nice! The reaction towards the summon (see 2:04:50-2:05:50 in the following video) is…oh, em, gee. Watching it and comparing it to past display of summons makes me realize that Final Fantasy has sure come a long way.
On the other hand, my brother has a powerful computer that’s great for PC gaming, and I was able to watch a part of the following video on the FF15 demo when I told my brother to check it out. The first comment that he made was that the graphics look a bit jagged and not as smooth as they’re meant to be. He was right. Though the detailed hair of the characters look amazing, when the viewer gets a close-up of it, the graphics for it aren’t very smooth. My brother then showed me examples of games with smooth graphics that have been out for a while now, and one of them was Tomb Raider for the PC.
My brother knows a lot more about the PC and stated that the PS4 isn’t as powerful, so the look of FF15 probably can’t compare to what it could possibly look like if Square-Enix decided to specifically make the game for the PC. As for his other comments on the demo, he stated that the game play looks really good, which I feel is something that most of us can agree on. Check it out below. It’s like watching a movie. =P
My thoughts from watching the demo:
- The music is amazing. I can’t wait ’til I get to hear the entire soundtrack, IA. One thing about the Final Fantasy series… If the story isn’t great, then you can always bet that the music will still be great. xD
- It’s going to take me a while to get used to Prompto‘s voice (Square-Enix also changed his hairstyle). Did anyone else feel that Ignis‘ voice sounds like Balthier‘s from Final Fantasy XII (FF12)? So far, Noctis‘ voice is the one that sounds the most appealing to me.
- The Behemoth looks scary and brings back memories of playing Dino Crisis 2. Maybe it’s because of the sounds and actions of the Behemoth.
- I love the details of the store at the Wiz Chocobo Post and the gas/service station. Being able to enter places in a town or a city have always been something that I liked in video games. I wonder if there will be a restaurant in the game that one can enter and eat at, and that if the characters aren’t outside a town or a city, can they actually rest at an inn or a hotel, like in the previous Final Fantasy games, rather than having to camp out?
- It’s obvious that Cindy’s outfit serves the purpose of attracting male players. That’s a clear sign of of female objectification. -_- As if we didn’t already have enough of that in the media… *sigh* I wish Square-Enix would have at least designed her top to have a bit of more fabric just below her collar bone, and be more original rather than getting inspiration from Megan Fox‘s character in Transformers. =P
- I like how at the end of the demo, viewers are given a “A Hint of Things to Come”. It looks very interesting and a bit dramatic. It’s definitely a cliffhanger. From the looks of it, I also have this feeling that Noctis‘ father, King Regis, will be killed.
We have to remember that this is only a demo, that it doesn’t include the main story of FF15, and that Square-Enix is collecting feedback from fans in order to go back to the actual game and improve it. The company has been very transparent about it with fans, which I appreciate. I’m looking forward to seeing more of the open world, the summons, the characters that have yet to be introduced, the music, and more importantly, the story line, IA. ^^